Jul 21, 2011

J-O-Y

JOY
=
Jesus First
Others Second
You Last

I was listening to radio program called Searchlight by Pastor Jon Courson.
He was teaching through the Epistle to Philippians. And the title of message was "Joy".

This is one simple key to joy. I think it's popular acronym for many.
To me, it was not new either. I heard it long time ago, and I wholeheartedly agree to the idea.
But his teaching on Philippians 2:3-4 really impacted my life.
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
I think my big question was how can I have joy??? "Others Second" is great virtue, but doing good does not  bring my joy always. And I thought it'll make me legalistic.
God totally broke me through through his teaching.

Pastor Jon explained that "esteeming others" will bring you joy.
"Everybody is better, in some area, than I am. "
I think this is something I have had trouble with. 
I knew I need to be humble before God. But now I think it is very easy to be humble before God. Why?? Because you can not beat God in any realm and area. God is Almighty!! How can I not be humble before him.

But with others, I think I am so quick to try to find in what I am better than he or she is.
Because I don't like to feel inferior!!!
And the thing is I am good at it!!! (which is horrible in face.....)

But Pastor Jon used very brilliant example that when he met pro baseball player and how excited he was. Why he was exited?? Because the player was so much better than he was, and being and interacting with such person brought him great joy.

This made so much sense to me!
Every one is better than me at least one or two area, in fact in so many!!
and it is my privilege to find out what it is. And when I find it, it will be my joy to be with such person from whom I can glean wisdom or experience and so forth.

I don't have to be feeling inferior but, rather, I can rejoice when I find myself to be with people whom I esteem better than me!!
I am so excited to put this in practice and have the kind of JOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment